About Me

Visitors

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

My not so small obsession...

Well if I am going to be blogging about becoming a teacher, I may as well admit to my little... not so little obsession... of collecting books. I began collecting when I was accepted into the Education program at Auburn. Yes, I realize that is early. And yes, I also realize I still have no classroom nor any idea of what grade I will be teaching. But my rationale was that children can be such a wide range of levels that I can have a wide range in my library. Also I told myself that I would save the extra unused books for when I have kids (which who knows when that will be, hehe).

So, I have been buying books for my book collection for the past two years. I have limited myself to only buying books from the thrift store that are in great condition or favorites from Second and Charles. I have found that after shopping for thrift store books I have become a BIG cheapo!! Yes... $1.00 is a SPLURGE. It's AMAZING the wonderful finds there are though!



I am embarrassed to admit that I now have almost 900 books. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :)


Since I began collecting, I began recording the books I have in a template on my computer. I have organized them into genres as well as reading level. It makes it easier to keep track of which books I already own when they are stuffed away in whatever nooks and crannies I can find in my closet!

So long story short: I love books and reading! I can't WAIT to share this love (cough, cough obsession) with my students one day! It is my hope that I can ignite a passion for reading in every child in my classroom by helping them find the perfect reading material to suit their style! If children don't have the opportunity to read something they love how will they ever love reading??




No comments:

Post a Comment